CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Friday, January 11, 2008

Are you Courageous and Determined?

As i sit and think about the past 2 wks i feel like i have accomplished something great in my life. So many times people who are obese (including myself) feel as though we have no self worth. For many years i have tried dieting. I never would stick to one for long but i can say i have pretty much tried it all (Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, Cabbage Soup diet, Slim Fast, You on a Diet, Vegetable Soup Diet, all kinds of diet pills, and drinks). After several attempts and multiple failures i had come to conclusion "I was meant to be this way". But that isn't true!

Last Sunday while our Pastor Kevin was preaching he started talking about the kinds of New Years Resolutions people make: get in shape, clean the house, eat healthy, take a walk every day, plant a flower bed, save some money, and the most popular LOSE WEIGHT! I wanted to shrink down very small and crawl under the pew. I thought "he is so talking to me! who told him my resolutions??" He actually made a wonderful point. He said so many people fall into thinking that they can drink the shake, take this pill, or eat this meal everyday and they will lose the weight. That's it, it's that simple. Right? Wrong!! You have to have determination, self discipline, courage, will power, faith, hope, and except the fact that you can make a change.

I did some research and found some verses on courage in the Bible that i thought were very encouraging. I hope you feel the same:

Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go."
Joshua 10:25 Joshua talking to the people: "....do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight."

I know these 3 verses basically say the same thing but it's the point that God tells us so many times in the Bible to be courageous. Stand up for ourselves. So many times we don't do that. When i read these verses i thought my obesity is my enemy! IF i have the courage to fight i can win and lose the weight.

Some really good quotes on determination:
"Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try" - Author Unknown
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill

Deep huh?
Over the past few days i have thought a lot about my self worth. Is it worth trying to lose weight? Is it worth me wanting to be healthy? Is it worth it to try and be attractive? Of Course it is. I am worth every bit of it and so are you. This might sound so ridiculous but i weigh each and every day...sometimes 4 times a day! Yeah i know ridiculous. But my point is each and every time i get on the scale and i see that i have made progress i feel like i have accomplished something so great and i have. For years i have tried dieting, most of the time not longer than a couple of weeks, but this time it feels different. This time i feel determined, disciplined, courageous, and powerful. This time i feel like I'm going to be able to make a dream of losing this weight a reality.

When i got on the scale this morning before work i weighed ***. I cant tell you the last time i was under that weight. When i got on that scale i screamed. I had to get off and get back on a few times. Heck i even got my old scale back out and weighed on it to compare. When it finally soaked in that the scale wasn't lieing to me i looked in the mirror and told myself "you will NEVER weigh over that again" and i wont. I don't care what i have to do i will not gain and weigh over that again. This whole time i have been saying "please just let me get below this and get away from that nasty bad weight" now i have a new goal....i want to get below *** and i CAN do it and i WILL do it!

The exercise i think is helping so much. Yesterday i walked my mile at work with Rachel and last night after i went to a dinner i came home and before i would let myself get in the bed i walked 2 more miles. Go me!! Ya hoo. My big sister Melanie is trying to lose weight also and she is down several pounds. Her determination is we are going to Disney in May and she doesn't want to have to get a seat belt extender for any rides! Me either! But we can do it i know we can and i pray that we all have the courage to stand up and fight against our obesity. We can and will change our lives.

Hope i haven't rambled too terribly much. Love to all......Chole

4 comments:

Cherry Dolphin said...

Congrats on getting under 290! I am so happy for you :D Also, those verses are perfect and so true.

Chubby Chick said...

Great post! Your determination is contagious! We ARE going to do this! We ARE worth it!

Josh. 1:9 has always been my favorite verse. And I really needed to "hear" it. Thanks for sharing! :)

Carleen said...

congrats on getting below 290- it was a great day for me aswell!!!
hip hip hooray

we are heading to WDW in April...I'm so excited- I'll fit much better now :)

Me said...

Chole that is awesome.. You can do whatever you want to do in life.. God wants for you what you pray and hope for yourself.. He would never allow for you to stay the way that you are if you dont want to be that way.. Heads up chick!! Good things lie ahead for you.. Just pray it and it will come true.. me